Saturday, October 7, 2017

A Coach Never Stops Coaching...I have proof!


At first glance, this picture may look like just a shot of a volleyball game in progress. However, it is so much more. It is true what they say, a picture says a thousand words!

My daughter, Hailey, is trying out volleyball for the first time this year. There have been a few aches and pains, however, she enjoys learning how to play and is sticking with it. She continues to struggle with her serving and I have to be honest in saying that I am not much help. But Hailey doesn't give up trying and even during a game, she just keeps working on getting that ball over the net. (I love that about her!)

This past week, she had a game at Roseville Middle School. Of course, I had to reminisce a bit, since I spent the majority of my teaching career in the Roseville School District. There were many people that I worked with in Roseville that taught me so much, molded me to be a great teacher, and started me on my road to leadership. One of those special people was my principal, Mr. Scott Allen. He was the principal at Little Canada Elementary, where I spent 4 years of my career. During that time, my life changed greatly, not only in my career, but in my personal life. I had both of my sweet babies while working there, went through a divorce, and began my life as a single mom. It was actually a very memorable and pivotal part of my life.

During that time, Mr. Allen was always supportive and gave me many opportunities to grow in my teaching and allowing me to step out in leadership roles in the building.

As I sat through Hailey's game, I noticed that the referee looked familiar. The referee seemed to show a bit of compassion for Hailey while she served. It almost looked like he wanted to run right out on that court and show her how to serve that ball over the net. As I began to look closer, his stance seemed a bit familiar...his legs shoulder width apart, his hands behind his back, and a smile on his face.  Then it dawned on me, I saw this man for years taking this same stance in the hallways of Little Canada Elementary. It was my former principal, Mr. Allen. Now all the pieces of this came together. Mr. Allen used to be a physical education teacher before he became a principal. Of course, he wanted to go over and help Hailey with her serve. That is what he was born to do and he loved coaching kiddos.

During the last game, Hailey was up to serve. Mr. Allen told her to move up...maybe told her to move up until she was quite close to the net. As she went to serve, she got it over the net! YEAH! Her first serve over the net! You should have seen her face, she was beaming and so was Mr. Allen. It ended up being Hailey's best game, so far. She gained some confidence and walked off that court with a smile.

After the game, I went over to Mr. Allen on the court. He was surprised to see me and quickly gave each other a hug. Hailey came running up behind me and I was thrilled to re-introduce her to Mr. Allen, since he met her when she was a baby. As soon as he saw that she was my daughter, he smiled. I thanked him for supporting her on the court and for helping her get her first serve over the net.

Even though Mr. Allen may be retired from teaching and leading, he is still not done coaching, encouraging, and helping kids be successful. A huge shout out to Mr. Allen for doing what you do best! The expanse of your influence has affected my daughter and we are so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my blog and adding your comment! I really appreciate it!

Gretchen :)