Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Restoring our Family Legacy

It hardly seems possible that I have been divorced for close to six years. Throughout that time, God has been at my side every step of the way. Now I know I haven't always seen him, acknowledged him, or even stopped to notice that he picked me up every single time that I fell. There have even been times when I searched and searched for him, begged and screamed for him to help me, only to find out that I was looking in the wrong direction and all along he was holding me up. Throughout our journey, I have wanted to write about what God has been doing in our lives. This blog has been created to do just that.  I spent many hours trying to figure out a name for our blog, it only felt right to title it, Restoring our Family Legacy One Prayer at a Time...here's the story behind it.

Over a year ago, I stumbled across a singer named Matthew West. He came out with a disc called The Story of Your Life. As I listened to the disc there were a few songs that I was convinced were written for Hailey and Ezzie. Every time I listened to these songs, I begged and prayed that God would restore our Family Legacy by destroying the branches of Divorce, Addiction, Infidelity, and Abuse from our Family Tree.  My prayers goes something like this:

Dear God, Please intervene into Hailey and Ezra's life. I beg that you restore our family legacy through them. Help them to be surrounded by people who love them and help them to change what has happened in our family tree. Protect them from past generational sins, help make them break those sins and rewrite our legacy.

Does that seem to much to ask? I hope not, because I am reminded of many verses in the Bible that proclaim that God is in the business of saving and restoring. I MUST believe that God can Restore our Family Legacy! This past week at church we talked about how God allowed Elizabeth, a barren woman, to become pregnant. In Luke 1:37 the angel said, "For NOTHING is impossible with God."

The song that helped in naming our blog is Family Tree by Matthew West. The lyrics for Family Tree are:

You didn't ask for this
Nobody ever would
Caught in the middle of this dysfunction
It's your sad reality
It's your messed up family tree
And your left with all these questions

Are you gonna be like your father was and his father was?
Do you have to carry what they've handed down?

No, this is not your legacy
This is not your destiny
Yesterday does not define you
No, this is not your legacy
This is not your meant to be
I can break the chains that bind you

I have a dream for you
It's better than where you've been
It's bigger than your imagination
You're gonna find real love
And you're gonna hold your kids
You'll change the course of generations

No, this is not your legacy
This is not your destiny
Yesterday does not define you
No, this is not your legacy
This is not your meant to be
I can break the chains that bind you

Cause you're my child
You're my chosen
You are loved
You are loved

And I will restore
All that was broken
You are loved
You are loved

And just like the seasons change
Winter into spring
You're brining new life to your family tree now
Yes you are
You are

No, this will be your legacy
This will be your destiny
Yesterday did not define you
No, this will be your legacy
This will be your meant to be
I can break the chains that bind you

And just like the seasons change
Winter into spring
You're bringing new life to your family tree now

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my blog and adding your comment! I really appreciate it!

Gretchen :)