Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 is the year of RESTORATION

A dear friend of mine at church, Sara, gave me the most inspiring idea. Here is what she posted on facebook a few days ago:

Last year at www.pieceofscrap.org we did "one little word" (find out more on the site) you pick one word to describe how you want your year to go. Last year I picked "LOSE" I wanted to LOSE weight, LOSE stress, LOSE chaos in my life...I feel like I actually did that last year but want it to CONTINUE this year! so my word is CONTINUE! what will yours be?

It got me instantly thinking about what my word of the year would be and I have to say that I thought of many. None of the words that came to mind seemed to stick or feel right. Plus, God continually kept bringing the following verse to mind over and over again:

"A bruised reed he will not break,
and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out."
Matthew 12:20

I first discovered this powerful verse when I read a story written by Max Lucado in his book, He Still Moves Stones. Max writes a vivid story about attending an art exhibit titled, "Bruised Reeds and Smoldering Wicks."The art exhibit is in an intimate room filled with paintings that are back to back on easels. The picture on one side always shows a person in the depths of a dark and hard trial and on the opposite side the same person being rescued in complete peace by Jesus. Every time I read this story, I learn something new and reflect on what my paintings would like look showing all the times Jesus has rescued me in my darkest times.  

There have been many times throughout my life where I have felt like a bruised reed or a smoldering wick. But as Max Lucado says, Jesus is in the business of straightening bruised reeds and igniting smoldering wicks. Jesus never said that life would be easy, but he did promise to be by our side through the good and the bad. It only seems right that my word for 2013 should be Restoration, not only is the word in the title of my blog, but because Jesus is in the business of bringing Restoration to all that is bruised or smoldering. Let the healing and restoring continue...

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you have your head and heart going in the right direction. I hope you continue to look to others to help when you need it and to give yourself a break when you just can't do it all. I look forward to following your journey as you continue to restore your family's legacy. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog and adding your comment! I really appreciate it!

Gretchen :)